Thursday, January 17, 2013

Pottery Barn Kids Fillmore Platform Bed


Two weeks ago Jason and I took guardianship of a beautiful girl named Robin.  Our house only has three bedrooms which were all already occupied so I converted my office into a bedroom for her.  I wanted to go with a shabby-chic/lounge design and wanted a bed that could look like a couch when it wasn't being used.  I'm not a fan of futons at all and all of the sleeper sofas I looked at were extremely uncomfortable so I had to get creative and decided to go with a basic platform bed.  

I thought it would be easy to find one but I was wrong!  None of our local furniture stores carried them and the ones I found online all came at a hefty price (which I didn't quite understand because the design seemed to be very simple) and they looked cheap to me.  So, I did what I do best and started Googling with the idea that we could just build one ourselves.  It took me a little while but I finally found plans for one that I absolutely LOVED!  

Pottery Barn Fillmore Platform Bed


I printed out the plans, met Jason at the lumber store, and he started building it that evening.  I wanted the bed to be a bit higher than the original one so we modified the plans to have 8" legs and used 4"x4" posts.  It only took Jason about 3 hours to construct it and he did an amazing job (I never knew he was such a talented woodworker).  I helped out by filling in the screw holes and staining it.  Neither of us had every built a bed before but our little project turned out great and only cost about $60.00.  I can't wait for our next project. :)

*** I'm still in the process of adding the finishing touches to the room before I take photos but I will post some soon. ***





                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment